Friday 13 November 2020

Four Futures, One Choice - A Summary and a summary

Well, it's been approximately 1,000 years since I posted. Through June and July I started several drafts of posts that needed a lot of time and research, and so they were abandoned as I was unable to provide either. Maybe you'll see them someday, who knows.

I don't want to let this blog die a death, though, so I wanted to provide an update that might go some way to explaining my wayward blogging habit. Since July, I've co-written a book. That's right, an honest-to-gosh book.

Four Futures, One Choice presents us with four compelling scenarios that provide us with an insight into how we can take swift and decisive actions, that will not only aid the COVID-19 recovery, but also help develop a built environment that supports a flourishing future and reduces our negative impact on the global environment. 

Of the four future scenarios presented there are two that are clearly preferable – focused on a sustainable, equal and diverse world within which Britain’s economy, society and environment can thrive. Given the unprecedented opportunity we’ve been presented with, we can’t stand still any longer. We have the choice, let’s make it now. 

It's based on research I did with a group of postgrads I work adjacent to, and owing some inspiration to The Future We Choose by Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac, a book that I assumed I reviewed here but haven't so I'll have to add that to the list of posts I need to get round to. We co-wrote an academic article together, and I had the privilege of turning that paper into a book for a general audience, but also targeted to the construction industry in the UK to inspire change.

We also produced a summary to "tease" the book ahead of its launch. You can find it here, where you'll also be able to download the e-book when it's released in December.

I feel very proud and very privileged to have worked on this project, and I hope it is thought provoking and makes a real difference.



No comments:

Post a Comment